Probably the most fun one I went to was for a friend a few years back. It was enjoyable because:
1) Good food (Mexican buffet)--and champagne punch;
2) Casual setting (backyard; it was a touch cold but otherwise nice);
3) Amusing games I hadn't done a million times (One was a "draw the baby on the paper plate...on top of your head. We all felt silly doing it but seeing the results was hilarious. Another I remember was the Multitasking Mom game--each participant (voluntary, not everyone played) was handed a baby doll and a cell phone and was then assigned the task of removing clothespins from a line while holding the baby doll and "talking" on the phone, and whoever got the most, won. It wasn't gross, it wasn't embarrassing, and it was pretty funny to watch people try to keep the pins without dropping the phone or the doll.)
4) Shower bingo--I have ADD (not really) but can only feign interest in butt paste and pacis for so long. The bingo was fun because we each did our own squares (guessing what she'd get) and prizes were awarded for multiple people, so there was an incentive to keep paying attention to what she got (and begging her to open that thing that is CLEARLY a wrapped baby bath!)
5) Decorate a onesie--again voluntary, but fabric markers, puffy paints, and blank white onesies were out for us to decorate as we waited for everyone to arrive/get things going.
6) Delicious cake(s). This is actually the one where Costco screwed up and gave away/sold the expertly decorated cake, so the hostess bought a "blank" cake and then scrawled "Costco Sucks" on the front. Still darn tasty.
Honestly nothing was done here that was that expensive and I don't even remember any decor (although there probably was some.) There was no "theme". It was just fun.
The showers that were less enjoyable usually had less tasty/variety of food, gross, boring, too many or overdone games, not-so-tasty cake, and too many guests. Even shower bingo can only hold my attention so long, so I really don't want to go to a shower where the MTB will be opening more than 30 gifts.