I had a doula with me with my first. Let me just say she was a total blessing and really helped during labor. I had a whole list of things i wanted to ask her but she pretty much answered everything in our first meeting just telling me about herself. Here are some of the things I asked:
- How many births have you attended?
- Have you had experience in a hospital setting? Then I asked her about births she has attended at the hospital I delivered at.
- What are some methods she uses for pain management?
- Was she familiar with the Bradley method? (this is what I was using)
- What exactly she feels is her role during labor/birth?
-When she preferred me to call her during labor? Right at the beginning or when my contractions were timeable.
I also just listened to her voice and made sure it was annoying to me. For me, the last thing I wanted was to have to listen to an annoying voice during labor. Good luck!