I called at the 9 month mark of trying. Currently on the 10 month mark and have finished all the testing, waiting results. You can do what you want, I know they say to wait a year....but it gets fustrating for sure and me being type A personality I just needed to get the ball rolling in some direction.
One thing though, check your insurance. The testing is more expensive than I thought it would be since I thought my insurance covered testing. Unless you are rolling in the dough unlike me ;-) (it isn't relatively that bad probably in the $500 range for us, but every insurance is different).